[Xen-devel] RE: xl fails to work with some command

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010, Zhang, Yang Z wrote:
> Hi all
> I have do further investigation with xl last week. And here is the latest
> status with xl.
> I found there are some bugs with xl:
> 1.    xl only can take one parameter with "disk=" in config file, or else it
> will show "segment fault" when run "xl create".
this is a known issue and people are working on it, a patch has already
been submitted

> 2.    libxl don't have the memory balloon support, so it will fail when guest
> need to balloon memory from dom0. So our test case "XEN_4G_guest_64_g32e"
> will fail sometimes.

this is a known limitation, currently is recommended to add
dom0_mem=752M to the xen command line options

> 3.    xenu cannot work with xl. When boot xenu, guest will wait at XENBUS:
> waiting for devices to initializes. And all the xenu cases fail

I guess xenu is a linux pv guest in this context.
I test this use case faily often so I am surprised you found bugs;
it should work AFAIK.

> 4.    SAVE/RESTORE with xl cannot work. After restore, guest's network will
> fail. And all the S/R and live migration cases fail.

this might actually be a bug that has been introduced recently

> 5.    All windows UP guest cannot start. It always will crash. And all the
> windows UP cases fail.

I don't know about Windows gusts but I test Linux PV on HVM guests
every day and they work fine.

> 6.  vcpu-set is not supported by xl. So some RAS case which use xl vcpu-set
> to set guest's cpu set will fails. case "vcpu_hot_add_64_g32e" fails.

actually vcpu-set is supported by xl, have you found any bugs using it?