Re: [Xen-devel] Re: oxenstored in stubdom ?

On 22/08/2010 10:14, "Vincent Hanquez" <Vincent.Hanquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>>> oxenstored is already restartable (or used to be and easy to fix if it
>>> was broken), so from a xenstore point of view, you could already restart
>>> dom0; Obviously this would block all the domains that try to do a
>>> xenstore query, but if the dom0 is restarted quickly enough this
>>> shouldn't be too noticeable since a normal working domain shouldn't use
>>> much xenstore after starting up.
>>
>> So that's "very probably restartable" then? ;-)
>
> well yes, "very probably" is pretty good odds i think. :p
>
> more seriously, it depends from which perspective you're looking at the
> dom0 restart problem. But according to previous experience during
> oxenstored development, i'm pretty sure that oxenstored would cope and
> that most of the problems are elsewhere in the stack. moving oxenstored
> to a stubdomain is almost orthogonal (roughly 89 degrees.)

I don't think xenstored-in-stubdomain is the big barrier to dom0
restartability, that's for sure. Personally, I don't think full dom0
restartability, for things like seamless dom0 kernel upgrade, will ever be
achieved. But I think particular vulnerable or critical services within dom0
can be made restartable.

 -- keir