Re: [Xen-devel] [Q] guest and user protection on x86-64 by paging

 On 08/01/2010 09:01 AM, Min Lee wrote:
Hi, folks.
one question. I'll read source code, but if one can give me brief overview, it would be so helpful. On x86-64, guest and user runs both in ring 3, and protect from each other by paging mechanism. but, how? Then page table should be modified and TLB would be flushed for every system call. This would be some overhead, I think. Is this what Xen is doing?

Yes it is. 64-bit PV guests run at a considerable disadvantage. The only mitigating factor is that it sets the Global bit on usermode ptes, so that they don't get flushed from tlb during the transition.