[Xen-devel] one video card - can I PCI-pass-through to DomU?

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexander Ivanov <apivanov@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 17:06:49 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 14:07:41 -0700

Hello guys,
first want to say that I've been a happy user of Xen for about 6 months already - replaced bunch of old servers with just 2 machines reducing power consumption and increasing reliability at the same time (not speaking about systemsÂmaintenance!).

But now I got a problem. In short -Âis it possible to "PCI pass-though" to HVM guest the only graphical card on a physical server?

I've been running several servers with Xen (3.4.2/3.4.3) with a bunch of VMs (both PV and HVM, Win/Linux) and it works great. Now I have one Windows application that seems can't be virtualized due to some graphics activity (basically lot of grids needs to be displayed and updated - and it all in Visual Basic) - neither standard VGA or cirrus logic modes can render it so it would perform good enough. So the idea is to give my physical server's card to this particular VM.

I guess if I would have 2 video cards in the server passing through the second card to HVM (windows 2003x32 server) would be not a problem, would it? But if I only have 1 card - is it possible at all?

Thank you,
Alex