[Xen-devel] summary : xen performance tools

Hi all,

Here's a summary of available performance tools on xen (please let me
know if I missed any. I'll put this somewhere on xen wiki later):

1. xenoprof: http://xenoprof.sourceforge.net/
      - Patch oprofile which then must be run on one or more guests.
      - Uses __HYPERVISOR_xenoprof_op hypercall.
      - src in xen/arch/x86/oprofile

2. xenperf:
     - Reports software ctrs in xen. Must compile xen with perfc=y
        (#ifdef PERF_COUNTERS).
     - Source: tools/misc/xenperf.c
     - Reports global counters for the system. Counters must be reset
       manually before each run.

3. xenmon:
    - Source: tools/xenmon/*
    - run xenmon.py to see gotten/blocked/waited cpu usage, one cpu at a time.
    - Uses raw trace buffer data .
    - Not all options work.
    - Needs work for more than 1 vcpu.

4. xentop:
    - works well.
    - src in tools/xenstat/xentop

5. xenlockprof:
    - src in tools/misc
    - compile xen lock_profile=y (ifdef LOCK_PROFILE)

6. xentrace:
    - good performance or debugging tool.
    - based on trace hooks in hypervisor code.

Would be nice to create subdir perf in tools and put xenperf, xenmon,
and xenlockprof in it so folks can quickly find perf tools. Also, more tools
can be added and old/un-maintained removed easily then.

I am trying to generic'ise xen_sysctl_perfc_op so that it can be used
to add more tools via union {} easily. Please let me know
if that would be a problem. Unfortunately, oprof hypercall can't be
generic'ised and adding a new generic perf hcall will require dom0
recompile.

thanks,
Mukesh