Re: [Xen-devel] [INFO] Setting up bridges in Debian /etc/network/interfaces

On Fri, 2010-06-25 at 16:00 +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
> OK, after a bit of playing around, I managed to figure out how to set
> up /etc/network/interfaces without the network-bridge script.  Below
> is an example system that has 2 nics, one with a dynamic IP address
> and one with a static IP, and two bridges, one for each nic.
> Hopefully it will be of help to those affected by the xencommons /
> xend config change. :-)

There was an example added to the xend-config.sxp file in the commit
which made these changes (I missed it at first too).

I don't think the references to "allow-hotplug ethX"  and "iface ethX
inet manual" are necessary. All that should be necessary is the "auto
xenbrX" and the "iface xenbrX ..." bits which you have. e.g.

> auto lo xenbr0 xenbr1
> iface lo inet loopback
[...snip unneeded stuff...]
> iface xenbr0 inet dhcp
>  bridge_ports eth0
>
> iface xenbr1 inet static
>  address 192.168.1.1
>  netmask 255.255.255.0
>  network 192.168.1.0
>  broadcast 192.168.1.255
>  bridge_ports eth1

It's also probably worth drawing attention to the interfaces(5) and
bridge-utils-interfaces(5) man pages.

Ian.