[Xen-API] XCP: RFC: compressing VM exports by default

Hi,

In XCP a VM "export" is a serialized VM, including metadata and usually raw
disk blocks. The format is a very simple tar file (really stream) with an XML
file at the front containing version information and metadata.

Unfortunately VM exports containing raw disk blocks can be very large and their
size makes them difficult to store and distribute over the network. I propose
to turn on compression by default by filtering the exports through gzip and to
auto-detect both compressed and uncompressed exports on import.

I've written up my proposal on the wiki:

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Compressing_VM_exports

One implication is that new (compressed) exports will fail to import on older
servers. However (a) there's an easy workaround (gunzip); and (b) I think being
able to import an old (uncompressed) export on a new server is more important
than the other way around.

Comments appreciated!

Cheers,
Dave