Re: [Xen-devel] XCP - FYI - An easy way to wedge (and fix) a Cloud

On Tuesday 08 June 2010 01:36:53 pm Daniel Stodden wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 12:04 -0400, dwight at supercomputer.org
wrote:
> > It turns out that /var/log had filled up the root filesystem on
> > the master.  500M+ worth of messages in there. After I tracked
> > down the problem, and freed this space up, everything started
> > working again.
>
> Which ones were the files growing too big? I recently caused
> potential trouble with blktap. But there may be more. Both xapi
> and storage management can get quite chatty, although I think this
> improved with xs5.x.
>
> Daniel

I'm going from memory here, as the main impetus was on triage, and
not proper debug/fix/testing. But if memory serves, it was
xensource.log.

It's unlikely that any recent change was the culprit, as this was
stock XCP 0.1.1.

I have to say that it's something else to reboot and debug an entire
Cloud. I've dealt with wedged/crashed systems before on
microcontrollers, small embedded devices, PC's, Servers, Mainfraimes
and Supercomputers, including Virtualized Systems. This is the first
time I've had to debug and reboot an entire Cloud before.

The main lesson for me is that the debugging interface could be
improved. This is one of the most critical aspects of any
Development environment.

Being able to get to a single user shell prompt easily from
the "boot:" prompt would go a long way here.

    -dwight-