Re: [Xen-devel] IOMMU and AMD 890fx

Hello Jens,

On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 12:51:23PM +0200, Jens Krehbiel-Gräther wrote:

> I got this answer from asrock support:
>
> <answer>
> So, I get more/final answer from Taiwan department:
>
> For H/W part:
> >From chipset spec, RD890(890FX) did support IOMMU.
> But IOMMU also need CPU to support.

Thats wrong. The IOMMU is a feature of the chipset northbridge and does
not need additional cpu support.

> Till now, AMD has no plan to support
> IOMMU on desktop CPU (AM3 socket).

There are AM3 boards out there with server a chipset that have it
enabled. Its no question of a socket.

> It only support with server CPU.

Also wrong. I have seen systems with desktop cpus that have IOMMU
enabled (Phenom X4 and Phenom X6).

> For BIOS part:

> AMD has removed IOMMU related registers.

Hard to believe. I have found people in the net who say that the ASUS
Crosshair IV mobo has IOMMU support in the BIOS. So if they can enable
it, asrock can do that too. Its just the BIOS which has to enable it

> So they say it is AMD's fault. :-(

I doubt that.

        Joerg