Re: [Xen-devel] Name of event-channel and other devices vs. udev

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 12:51:44PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> Currently udev overwrites the name of the event-channel device to
> /dev/xen/evtchn. This approach is about to be discontinued and needs to
> be fixed on either side.
> There are several fixes for that:
> - Make the kernel name the device "xen/evtchn".

This approach somewhat reliable failed for me[1]. Also nothing else in
the kernel uses it. So I assume this is not really supported.

> - Remove the rule and convert to another name. Either /dev/evtchn, which
>   is a bit to generic or something like xen-evtchn.

So this is the only solution, and the kernel usually uses _ as
delimiter for devices, so "xen_evtchn" is the name to use. And make
xen/evtchn a symlink for backward compatibility.

Bastian

[1]: http://bugs.debian.org/583283
--
Conquest is easy. Control is not.
                -- Kirk, "Mirror, Mirror", stardate unknown