Re: [Xen-devel] Improving domU restore time

On 25/05/2010 11:35, "Rafal Wojtczuk" <rafal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> a) Is it correct that when xc_restore runs, the target domain memory is
> already
> zeroed (because hypervisor scrubs free memory, before it is assigned to a
> new domain)

There is no guarantee that the memory will be zeroed.

> b) xen-3.4.3/xc_restore reads data from savefile in 4k portions - so, one
> read syscall per page. Make it read in larger chunks. It looks it is fixed in
> xen-4.0.0, is this correct ?

It got changed a lot for Remus. I expect performance was on their mind.
Normally kernel's file readahead heuristic would get back most of the
performance of not reading in larger chunks.

> Also, it looks really excessive that basically copying 400MB of memory takes
> over 1.3s cpu time. Is IOCTL_PRIVCMD_MMAPBATCH the culprit (its
> dom0 kernel code ? Xen mm code ? hypercall overhead ? ), anything
> else ?

I would expect IOCTL_PRIVCMD_MMAPBATCH to be the most significant part of
that loop.

 -- Keir