From: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joanna Rutkowska
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:14 AM
To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] feature suggestion: DMAR table emulation for Xen

As many people on this list realize, lots of machines that have VT-d in
hardware, effectively does not support VT-d because of broken BIOSes that
usually do not expose DMAR ACPI table at all (or do it with some bugs?).

So, the idea is to implement dmar emulation for Xen. E.g. if we pass certain
boot option, e.g. emulate_chipset4_dmar, then Xen would read DMAR table from
the image hardcoded into the Xen hypervisor.

We could provide images for series 4 and 5 chipsets. I think there are no
differences in how DMAR table looks between various specific chipsets from the
same family (e.g. Q45 would be probably using the very same DMAR as PM45). Can
somebody from Intel confirm this?

Implementing such a feature would make it possible to use Xen w/ IOMMU support
on many newer machines that otherwise do not support it.

joanna.