Re: [Xen-devel] Dom0 restartability

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 05:54:37PM +0100, Charlie Smurthwaite wrote:
>    Am I correct in believing that the majority of IO for all domains passes
>    through the DOM-0 kernel?

Yes, at the moment dom0 is usually taking care of all the disk/network IO for
the guests,
aka disk and network backend drivers are in dom0.

> I would think that a huge number of IO drivers
>    would need to move into Xen in order to allow this without severe IO
>    disruption. Are there methods of disk / network IO that do not rely on
>    DOM-0?

Yeah, you can use 'Driver domains', to have the disk/net backends in a separate
guest.
I don't think it makes any sense to have disk/net drivers in Xen hypervisor.
It's much easier to run Linux dom0 or Driver Domain to serve the disk/net IO.

-- Pasi