[Xen-devel] Re: Hugepages don't work on the Xen Linux git tree

  • To: Dave McCracken <dcm@xxxxxxxx>
  • From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:17:09 -0700
  • Cc: Xen Developers List <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:18:03 -0700

On 04/19/2010 07:27 PM, Dave McCracken wrote:
> The fix I have in older kernels is for set_huge_pte_at() to call set_pmd()
> instead.  However, in this brave new world of paravirt vectors, should I
> instead set up a vector for it?  What is the architecturally right thing to
> do?  However we decide to do it, expect a patch for it shortly afterward.

Yeah, its a bit awkward.  A huge pte is semantically a pte, but
structurally a pmd, so which should it be?  The perhaps "cleanest" fix
might be to add a set of huge pte operators, but I don't think that's
really justified given that this is a fairly specific, narrow case.

I think on balance the best thing is to make set_huge_pte_at() call
set_pmd().