Re: [Xen-devel] [patch] Calling awk and not gawk in the Xen scripts

Thomas Goirand writes ("[Xen-devel] [patch] Calling awk and not gawk in the Xen
scripts"):
> I noticed that 2 scripts in Xen 4.0.0 are calling "gawk". Normally, in
> most distributions, gawk is considered a specific version of awk.
> Calling "gawk" and not "awk" generally means that you need specificities
> of the "g" version of awk, as opposed to "mawk" which is another
> implementation of the same tool.
>
> So, unless I misread the scripts, Xen doesn't need to use gawk but just
> any implementation of awk, and the attached patch can safely be applied.

I agree.

Acked-by: Ian Jackson <ian.jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> If I am wrong (which I don't think I am at the first look) and that
> there's a reason why gawk is used and not awk, then IMHO, the toplevel
> README should mention it in the prerequisites.

They aren't very complicated uses of awk.  If it does turn out to
cause problems it should be straightforward to change the awk runes to
use the SuSv6 subset of the language.

Ian.