Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Xen VGA graphics passthrough for secondary adapters, vBAR=pBAR etc

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:18:50PM +0200, Christian Tramnitz wrote:
> 12.04.2010 12:08, Weidong Han wrote:
>>> I already added that suggestion to the 4.1 suggested features some
>>> days ago and planned to rebase the patches to 4.0 if they need any
>>> adjustments.
>>> One major change I'd like to see is dynamic (and thus optional)
>>> configuration of the mem space to be mapped and the BIOS file to be used
>> Could you explain "dynamic configuration of the mem space to be mapped"?
>> do you mean MMIO memories?
> Yes, the MMIO BARs that currently need manual changes to dsdt.asl before
> compilation. If we could make that a runtime configuration option or
> even allow dynamic detection (via libpci?) this would help a lot. It
> would also make the changes less intrusive (and increase the chances of
> being accepted I hope).
>
>>> Also afair the previous patch set also had a maximum size (correct me
>>> if I'm wrong) for the BIOS size that was to small for recent (HD4800+)
>>> ATI devices.
>> What is the size of HD4800 bios? It can adjust memory map address
>> definitions in hvmloader to solve it.
> It's 128kB (current limitation is 64k), but that should be easy enough
> to fix, just wanted to mention it while we're discussing the topic ;-)

Oh, that might also fix the QLogic BIOS issue that some folks reported.

> Are you still actively working on this topic? Haven't seen a reply to my
> previous mails to list if work is still being done. Just want to avoid,
> that we're both working on the same thing...

I wasn't sure on the status of this and wrote up a task item for this
exact work on the Google Summer Code Code:

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XAPI_project_suggestions

It is great to see that there is interest in this. Christian, since you
are taking a lead in this, would you like me to nuke the entry from the
GSOC and start hacking at this yourself? Or would you like to be a mentor
for this project?