Re: [Xen-devel] Re: vt-d p7p55d evo: Success

  • To: listmail <listmail@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Dietmar Hahn <dietmar.hahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:24:38 +0200
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 06:25:57 -0700
  • Domainkey-signature: s=s1536a; d=ts.fujitsu.com; c=nofws; q=dns; h=X-SBRSScore:X-IronPort-AV:Received:X-IronPort-AV: Received:Received:From:To:Subject:Date:User-Agent:Cc: References:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type: Content-Transfer-Encoding:Message-Id; b=W+IRIVYXHi0nvKgN37O7YjjzlPhSsIhEgdqrRG7LaBUR1z5eJj1KIkZQ k5MOaHxrLyuK5V+noZffh5+0KhUyMvCTS5NfSG3vtGtz96K4Q88t3a9jH TQQM6h7H2xtlt2hQRv5TyDuoSS2OI1EJEJkF2S17kiMRd/hkoBEVWfcC2 3nnPbEqXIIMTwXXLtqDN9sYeKBoUgUJAHPG0aFHOzC1sNEi8TEDmFIM4T Na03rYaOmOpE7WGidxEDwHO3UNski;

Am 12.04.2010 schrieb listmail:
> Dietmar Hahn wrote:
> >> - How did it work.. did you have some issues?
> >> the nv driver on linux works fine (as good as it can)
> >> it takes a bit before you see VGA output on boot
> >>

> > Did you see any boot messages of the BIOS / grub
> > on the console device (with this gfx adapter) before the linux
> > kernel boot messages and the X11 screen?
> >
> No output only appeared some time after the kernel had already started.
> I wasn't sure what to expect here.  Would there be any more useful
> information to provide?

I only wanted to know whether your vga-bios works well, but it didn't seem
so, otherwise you would see some messages from the bios and if you have
the grub bootloader maybe to select a kernel to boot in the domU.

> >> the console cursor was positioned higher than normal (sitting at over
> >> the halfway mark for the font)
> >> shutdown of Xorg can leave you with a blank console
> >> shutdown then Restart of domU without restarting dom0 may lead to no VGA
> >> output, however you can still ssh in and startx (Xorg) and it will
> >> produce output
> >>

> > This is the same behavior as on my laptop where the copied VGA-BIOS not
> > works in the domU (beside no FLR - see flag FLReset-).
> >
> > Dietmar.
> >
> It is copied directly from the card just before domU starts right?

No it's copied from the dom0 kernel memory to the domU physical memory.

> I read something about that the card's bios can change after it first
> initialized when the computer starts, is there an option to test using a
> file based copy of the bios?

To load the vga-bios from a file you have to change the hvmloader (there is
already some code about this) and must compile it on your own.

Dietmar.

--
Company details: http://ts.fujitsu.com/imprint.html