Re: [Xen-devel] Build error occurred / python and flex version requirements for Xen 4.0

On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 09:21:40PM +0900, Masaki Kanno wrote:
> Thu, 4 Mar 2010 11:25:30 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
>
> >Keir Fraser writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] Build error occurred"):
> >>
> >> I'll leave it to Ian to make a more portable flex invocation, or submit a
> >> patch to check the generated files into the repository.
> >
> >I haven't double-checked exactly which version is needed, but 2.5.4
> >was released by the FSF in *SEPTEMBER 1996*.  The --header-file option
> >was introduced in 2.5.19 released in September 2002.
> >
> >We don't support Python 2.2 any more and Python 2.2.3, the last
> >release of Python 2.2, was released in May 2003.
> >
> >So to be perfectly honest, I think it's fair enough to expect people
> >to have a newer version of flex.  What on earth is Masaki running ??
> >
> >However, it's easy enough to check in the generated files.  Patch
> >attached.
>
> Hi Ian,
>
> Thank you.  I succeeded to build xen-unstable by your patch.
>
> I'm using them.
>
> # cat /etc/redhat-release
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.1 (Tikanga)
> # python -V
> Python 2.4.3
>
> Best regards,
>  Kan

I'm in the process of writing a wiki page for Xen 4.0 release,
and I was thinking of adding a note about this.

A question: in what cases does one need to re-generate the stuff,
and thus have newer flex than in RHEL5/CentOS5?

Is newer python required aswell, or only flex?

Thanks!

-- Pasi