Re: [Xen-devel] Is Xen support in Debian going to nowhere?

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 01:51:25AM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> If you didn't see it, you should read the thread "Xen, Squeeze, and
> Beyond" on the debian-devel list that you may have missed:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2010/02/thrd2.html#00653
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2010/03/threads.html#00005
>
> This clearly shows you what I told you about the lack of support for Xen
> in Debian. What I see is that there's more a lack of communication than
> anything else.
>
> Debian is like no others distribution, if nobody cares doing the dirty
> work of packaging, some software can go away from the archive, simply
> because of the lack of task force. The disaster of the Lenny dom0 with
> no upstream support should be avoided at all costs, and the only way to
> do so is by having people working on Xen involved in Debian. Otherwise,
> the Debian kernel team will simply hate working on maintaining a Xen
> dom0 (which is already the case, I believe).

Oh, that is unfortunate.

> Any lack of responsiveness of everyone can lead to nowhere. I feel it's
> a shame that nobody from this list stood in this thread to say that he
> will help the kernel team this time, so that the Debian kernel team can
> feel there's a real support from "upstream".

Well, I am pretty committed to fixing issues with the pv-ops kernel.
I must have missed the part about helping the kernel team as I would
gladly help with that, thought the kernel team would need some patience
with me as I also working on stabilizing and helping to upstream the
pvops branch, and that does take time. Thought isn't Bastian working on
this? I saw some of his patches and I believe he was actively trying to
get X to work?

But I am not very good at the packaging aspect and I thought the
outstanding issue was that there wasn't a sponsor for this?