Re: [Xen-devel] RE: Help needed on gfx-passthrough

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Dietmar Hahn <dietmar.hahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 10:21:05 +0100
  • Cc: Weidong Han <weidong.han@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 02:21:54 -0700
  • Domainkey-signature: s=s1536a; d=ts.fujitsu.com; c=nofws; q=dns; h=X-SBRSScore:X-IronPort-AV:Received:X-IronPort-AV: Received:Received:From:To:Subject:Date:User-Agent:Cc: References:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type: Content-Transfer-Encoding:Message-Id; b=hNhWejF+DMCqJFFqAzd4CFShk2LjqghyDArJLUskZkKVb1xmkoaJW5Ms dUPTcSM7iWe8QTUEYAOtLo8jqwkcGBP0YFfkDg4D4rEmEJ5Yk1R3vLVjV SpyBIbkvUuR3c1uKeM/3dqKhOT2ht+0mPLxU0MwZlnzjUPVLW2al7WKuR Z3RF/kAPASxP0szVIAoAiaY3My9WEluFEt0+/N5Ybv0VImzYnunXulqCL +TIpyez01hC287DxwIx11tV35Vm9A;

Am 19.03.2010 schrieb Weidong Han:
> Dietmar Hahn wrote:
> > Am 18.03.2010 schrieb Han, Weidong:
> >
> >> There is a wiki page for xen gfx passthru:
> >> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenVGAPassthrough. pls read it.
> >>
> > Yes I did this.
> >
> >> I didn't try your gfx card. As you know, some vbios of nVidia gfx cards
> >> have vbios re-execution issue, which results in no display in VGA mode.
> >>
> > Yes I read this on the mailing list, you mean FLR issues?
> >
> Not exactly. Another possibility is that vbios bits may be truncated or
> modified after initialization in host, thus it might result in
> re-execution issue.
This would be very ugly.

> >> You can have a try with loading vbios from file and make vBAR = pBAR. You
> >> can find the corresponding patches in xen-devel mailing list.
> >>

> > I tried this already.
> > I want to look a little bit deeper to understand whats going on.
> > I saw your igd_passthru patch qemu hw/pci.c for special handling of some
> > pci config registers of the host bridge and maybe I need a similar patch
> > for the special PCI Express Graphics Port bridge.
> >
> Discrete gfx card is an independent pci device. I don't think it will
> depend on platform. IGD is integrated in chipset, and there are some
> dependencies on chipset.
This sounds reasonable.

> > My problem is that I don't see any access to extended config registers.
> >
> PCIe extended config registers (>256bytes) are not virtualized in Xen qemu.
>
> > Therefore my question for help in debugging to see what the vgabios is
> > doing.
> >
> I don't know how to see what vgabios is doing. If you can find the
> vgabios engineer, maybe you can dump and send gfx register values to him
> for analysis.
I don't know whether this is possible.
Thanks.
Dietmar.