[Xci-devel] Re: [Xen-devel] Lenovo T400 problem

> > What device is under BDF: 0:3.7 ?
> No such device in the system.

<laughs> So you have a device that shows up mysteriously _after_ the
bootup. That is pretty mysterious.

.. snip

Hmm, I think there is a mechanism to "re-trigger" the PCI bus scan.
Try this:

echo 1 > /sys/class/pci_bus/0000:03/device/rescan

> > So from reading that it seems that the device in question: 0:3:7 hasn't
> > been actually authorized for to be used by your guest?
> >
> Yeap. There is no such device in the system. Full lspci is below:
..
> 00:03.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series
> Chipset MEI Controller (rev 07)
> 00:03.3 Serial controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset
> AMT SOL Redirection (rev 07)

Hmm, AMT is this fancy chipset that allows the System Admin to turn your
machine on/off, BIOS update, etc. I wonder if there is something further
on that. Can you turn it off and see what happens? Also, I would suggest
Google for 'Intel Mobile 4 Series MEI controller" and look at the spec
and see if they mention anything about device at function 7.

> >> (XEN) print_vtd_entries: iommu = ffff83013bdf5f90 bdf = 0:3:7 gmfn = 6cb6
> >> (XEN)     root_entry = ffff83013bdcc000
> >> (XEN)     root_entry[0] = 137e44001
> >> (XEN)     context = ffff830137e44000
> >> (XEN)     context[1f] = 0_0
> >> (XEN)     ctxt_entry[1f] not present
> >
> > Sure enought. Not present it there.. Are there any other entries
> > (earlier on) that talk about BDF 0:3:7?
> >

> It looks that this failure is the result of trying to pass-through
> WLAN(3:0.0).  Interesting enough,- with this failure(coming

3:0.0 is much different from 0:3.X. It is on a different bus.

> periodically once in few minutes) the system boots and runs ok(I can't
> tell anything about its stability though). The problem becomes fatal
> only when I'm trying to pass-through usb and wlan together.

So if you pass in WLAN by itself it works fine. But if you pass in
USB + WLAN hell breaks loose?

I would look up specs about the WLAN then.

> Do you have any ideas were to start looking?

.. specs, and turn off AMT.