RE: [Xen-devel] RE: [Xen-users] How to: Improve Network Throughput of a XEN kernel?

I did not attempt this, I believe this suggestion was fixing a hotplug issue... but it was in reply to How to: Improve Network Throughput of a XEN kernel?

> Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] RE: [Xen-users] How to: Improve Network Throughput of a XEN kernel?
> From: lists@xxxxxxxxx
> To: viaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 19:07:40 +0100
> CC: bderzhavets@xxxxxxxxx; xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Hi,

> > just first argument dummy=dummy should on kenel line.

> > coming from the hypervisor, but no matter how I changed the option I
> > kept getting a kernel fault.

> > and the grub2 boot loader to work with XEN so I decided to install a
> > headless OpenSUSE 11.2 system.

> > 2.6.31.12 xenified kernel. On this setup I experience identical
> > network performance.

> > xenified kernel or is just in my two setups that one encounters such a
> > network performance hit to the Dom0?
> > > >

> > > No, it's not typical.
> > >
> > > How are you measuring the performance? In a gigabit network you
> > should be able
> > > to push around 110 MB/sec.. 4.5 MB/sec sounds really slow.
> >

> > I am using Fast Ethernet (100MB). What sort of throughput should I
> > expect becasue I also believe ~1MB is too slow, even just to/from the
> > Dom0, without any network emulation to the DomUs.
>
> 10 - 12 MB/s should be expecte d....
>

> > I simply used SCP, HTTP, and FTP file transfer protocols on the Xen
> > host to another computer on the LAN.
>
> Please do something like
>
> Start netCat on a "server"
>
> Server: # nc -l 1111 > /dev/null
>
> and start dd+nc on your XEN-Box/Client
>
> Client: # dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=10000 | nc $SERVER-IP 1111
>
> This should show up raw network throughput....

Yup I was able to get 8MB/s, this time I believe the network equipement is to blame, but this has been a wonderful suggestion, thank you. I'd just like to note the -p option was required to start netcats listening on the specified port number.

> > The ~4.5MB/s bottleneck is the hard drive on the other computer so I
> > suspect the true bandwidth would be higher, but getting past the
> > ~1MB/s roadblock is my major concern.
& gt;
> use /dev/null instead of HDDs
>
> > I have tried two linux distros and both forward ported xenified and
> > parvirtualized xen kernel.
> >
> > Does the Xen hypervisor have any effect on the network throughput?
>
> No, but the underlying dom0-Kernel could affect the NIC-Performance...
> Had some Issues with running Intel 10GB-NICs (ixgbe) on a 2.6.18-Kernel,
> while 2.6.27/29 performed nice.

This is what I specualt to have been the issue to. After using a stable xenified 2.6.33 kernel my throughput shot up 8 times to the Dom0! Also I noted that between kernel versions 2.6.31 and 2.6.33 the exact same module driver version was used.

filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.33-xen/kernel/drivers/net/e1000e/e1000e.ko
version:        1.0.2-k2

filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.31.12-x en/kernel/drivers/net/e1000e/e1000e.ko
version:        1.0.2-k2

> > Would updating the Intel E1000E kernel module driver affect the
> > network throughput?

So I guess in this case updating the kernel module driver was not required.

> > -M
>

> hth,
>
> thomas
>

> > > -- Pasi

> > kernel .config, however I copied exact configuration from the working
> > Debain 2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 kernel

> > via both xen-hypervisor 3.2.1 or xen-hypervisor 3.4.2 the maximum data
> > transfer to/from the Dom0

> > same network bottlenecking is present.

> > XEN kernel?

> > Jan Beulich stuff.

Live connected with Messenger on your phone Learn more.