Re: [Xen-devel] Nouveau on dom0

  • To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Arvind R <arvino55@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 22:41:19 +0530
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 09:12:01 -0800

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 3:04 AM, Arvind R <arvino55@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 9:31 PM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
> <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 09:04:33PM +0530, Arvind R wrote:
>>> ======= snip =======
>>>  ======= snip =======
>>> >
>>> The pushbuf (FIFO/RING) is the only means of programming the card DMA

>> the 'ttm_bo_init'. I remember Pasi having an issue with this on Radeon
>> and I provided a hack to see if it would work. Take a look at this
>> e-mail:
>>
>> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/cgi-bin/extract-mesg.cgi?a=xen-devel&m=2010-01&i=20100115071856.GD17978%40reaktio.net
>>

>> It looks to be using 'ioremap' which is Xen safe. Unless your card has
>> an AGP bridge on it, at which point it would end up using
>> dma_alloc_coherent in all likehood.

Can't do that - some later allocations are huge.

>>> As of now, accelerator on Xen stops right at the initialisation stage - when

>> I think that the ttm_bo calls set up pages in the 4KB size, but the
>> initial channel requests a 64KB one. I think it also sets up

> Your ttm patch using dma_alloc_coherent instead of alloc_page resulted in
> the same problem as with the Radeon report - leaking pages, erroneous page
> count

>> page-table directory so that when the GPU accesses the addresses, it
>> gets the real bus address. I wonder if it fails at that thought -
>> meaning that the addresses that are written to the page table are
>> actually the guest page numbers (gpfn) instead of the machine page numbers
>> (mfn).
>
> No, I don't think thats how it works. The user-space write triggers an
> aio-write -

which triggers do_page_fault, handle_mm_fault, do_linear_fault, __do_fault
and finally ttm_bo_vm_fault.
ttm_bo_fault returns VM_FAULT_NOPAGE

 - but xen-boot keeps on re-triggering the same fault.
when vm_fault calls ttm_tt_get_page, the page is already there, and
the handler does another vm_insert_page (i changed vm_insert_mixed
vm_insert_page/pfn based on io_mem, now the only patch, and it works on
bare machine) on and on and on.

What can possibly cause the fault-handler to repeat endlessly?
If a wrong page is backed at the user-address, it should create bad_access or
some other subsequent events - but the system is running fine minus all local
consoles! If the insertion is to a wrong place, this can happen; but
the top-level
trap is the only provider of the address - and the fault addres and
vma address match,
and the same code works fine on bare-boot.

ttm_tt_get_page calls alloc in a loop - so it may allocate multiple pages from
start/end depending on Highmem memory or not - implying asynchronous allocation
and mapping.

All I want now is *ptr = (uint32_t)data to work as of now!