From: Weidong Han [mailto:weidong.han@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 22 February 2010 07:08
To: Timothy J. Moore
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: VT-d support proprietary NVidia/ATI GPU passthrough

Timothy J. Moore wrote:
> Dear Xen-developers,
>
> Now that we have IGD passthough patches in the xen source tree, would it be
> possible to start working on support for other vendor cards?

Xen already implemented basic gfx passthrough a few months ago, and
supported "virtualization friendly" gfx passthrough, such as nVidia
FX3800. But for most discrete GPU, they need various hacks, such as
vBAR=pBAR.

> I know and have working the necessary patches to enable PCI/VGA Pass-through
> for non IGD, but it's a long way from stable -
>
> Is there a way that vendor specific resets or FLR code could be implemented
> that will provide a stable experience when using VGA passthrough with NVidia
> and plugging/unplugging and starting/rebooting DomUs?

yes, FLR is a problem for gfx cards which don't support standard FLR
capability. FLR is required for passthrough, but lots of existing gfx
cards don't have this capability, and only gfx vendors know how to
implement vendor specific reset.

> Can the vBAR-pBAR code that Wiedong provided be implemented in a more dynamic
> way? (currently requires static mem ranges)

Yes, the patch is experimental, and not suitable for upstream now.

Regards,
Weidong