Re: [Xen-devel] modifying drivers

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 21:15 -0500, Ritu kaur wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> Thanks for clarification, however, what I dont understand is this(I
> have read documents and looked into driver code). Both netfront and
> netback registers with xenbus and monitors "vif" interface. >From
> netback point of view I clearly understand its communication and other
> stuff as I see vif<domid>:<intf-id> being created in dom0. However,
> when I look into domU, I do not see any vif interface created(looked
> with ifconfig, ifconfig -a commands) is it hidden from the user?
>  In domU, I just see "eth*" interfaces created. how does eth*
> interfaces interact with netfront?

These *are* the netfront devices. No need to look further.

The "vif" you see in netfront is the _xenbus_ name. It's a building
block of the driver, but it means nothing to the kernel network layer.

>  I looked under lib/modules/linux*/... for any pseudo drivers which
> might interact with eth*, didn't get any answers. I am completely
> confused. By the way I am using Debian etch 4.0 as a domU.

Network interfaces can have pretty arbitrary names, whether virtual or
not. I guess "eth<n>" in domU is mainly chosen because it gives users
and tools a warm fuzzy feeling. On domU, it makes everything look a
little more like like a native system would.

As a rule of thumb, ethX is what connects any respective domain to their
network environment, whether that's primarily a virtual one (in domU,
per blkfront) or a physical one (dom0, driving your physical NIC).

The vifs in dom0 are network interfaces. Each is a netback instance.
Each could carry a separate IP, but that's normally not done. They are
rather used as the ports of a virtual switch. Essentially the local end
of a point-to-point link. One vif for each interface on each guest.

You should see one or more xenbrX devices. These are basically software
switches, each connects all guests in a common virtual network, and each
xenbr<N> also connects to eth<n>, as the uplink.

Try 'brctl show', you should see how all these interfaces are connected.

Daniel