Re: [Xen-API] XCP Downloading and Xen.org

On 11/02/10 19:29, Stephen Spector wrote:
Xen Community:

As you are aware, the Xen Cloud Platform has been available for download
since last November and is becoming a very successful release for
Xen.org. In fact, we are seeing substantial network traffic for this
solution as we had 26 TB of data from XCP downloads in the past 4 weeks.
Of course, this amount of traffic is forcing a re-examination of our
co-location agreements as we are moving toward the limit of our monthly
bandwidth and may face substantial increases in costs as XCP continues
to find new users.

I have a proposal to move the XCP iso images to bittorrent for
downloads, thereby reducing the bandwidth pressure on the Xen.org
website. I am looking for community feedback on this idea and look
forward to your thoughts.

AFAIK it's fairly common for companies to put restrictions on use of p2p protocols like bittorrent.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, not much is gained by this move if xen.org turns out the be the only usable seed :-)

I suspect what would really be needed are a few mirrors.

Cheers,

Magnus Therning
magnus.therning@xxxxxxxxxxxxx          Jabber: magnusth@eng

There does not now, nor will there ever, exist a programming language
in which it is the least bit hard to write bad programs.
     -- Flon's Axiom