Re: [Xen-devel] SLA Monitoring of XEN DomU's

  • To: echo@xxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Xen-Devel (E-mail)" <Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Ahmad Hassan <ahmad.hassan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 15:11:40 +0000
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 07:12:20 -0800

Thanks for the replies. So I can use either use SNMP monitoring using CACTI or http://www.pmacct.net for Network traffic monitoring of DomU's.

What about CPU availability guarantees for DomU's?

By SLA guarantees, I mean to say that Whether I can proof and show to the owner of DomU's that you are getting the exact bandwidth and CPU you asked for.

Best Regards, Hassan
http://cern.ch/ahmadh/portfolio

Erasmus Student
The University of Reading, UK
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
The University Of Carlos III, Madrid Spain

2010/1/4 Tim Post <echo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Mon, 2010-01-04 at 14:19 +0000, Ahmad Hassan wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> We have set up a XEN testbed on AMD64 based cluster nodes. I would
> like to know the possible ways to monitor the activities of DomU's
> from Dom0. Is there any transparent way to monitor cpu usage and
> network traffic of DomU's at Dom0 level in order to ensure that SLA
> gurantees to each DomU.
>
> You help is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards, Hassan

Network traffic is easily monitored by making sure that you assign
static vifnames to guests. I.e. if your guest is named "vps-123", then
your network config might look like this:

vif = ['bridge = br0, mac = xx:xx:xx:..., vifname = vps-123.0',
      'bridge = br1, mac = xx:xx:xx:..., vifname = vps-123.1' ]

... where vps-123.0 is the device to monitor (on dom-0) for eth0 in that
guest, vps-123.1 the one to monitor for eth1, etc .. etc.

After that, snmp takes care of logging if using something like cacti.

It becomes a little complicated if you tend to migrate guests from node
to node, but not unmanageable.

I'm not quite sure what kind of SLA you are backing with this. I can
produce graphs that tell people they have 100% of all 16 cores in a node
rather easily. Since its impossible for the customer to independently
verify, its hardly usable in a SLA claim. Unless I missed something?

Cheers,
--Tim