[Xen-devel] Xen killing my e1000s?

  • To: Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 15:36:33 -0800
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 15:36:50 -0800

I have this Xeon 3430-based system with a pair of on-board PCI-e e1000s. When I'm running under Xen, they disappear in use. That is, the PCI devices themselves seem to give up the ghost, and lspci -x shows all 0xff for their config spaces. They come back to life when I reset the machine.

When I boot under native Linux all seems fine.

I'm running with VT-d and all the other features enabled; I haven't tried turning them off yet. There are no obvious messages from the kernel or Xen complaining about anything.

This is a new machine, so it could be an outright hardware problem, but it seems like an odd failure-mode for a hardware fault (I'd expect on-board devices to either work or not work, and not come back on reset).

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,