RE: [Xen-devel] timekeepeing in XEN - request fo comments

Hi Pasi --

The timekeeping problems I am referring to are
only(?) for hvm guests.  HVM guests with different
OS's and different versions of a Linux kernel (32-bit
vs 64-bit, even kernel updates between EL5uX and
EL5uX+1) behave differently when ticks are delivered
at imperfect intervals (which happens frequently
for Xen and other hypervisors).  Xen distros
and "virtual appliance" distributors may specify
certain settings of timer_mode and certain kernel
parameters (e.g. "clock=pit") to ensure time
is kept as accurately as possible.  There is no
"one size fits all" solution unfortunately.

For PV guests, note that there have been patches
to dom0 (2.6.18-xen) that improve timekeeping
in dom0 and this may affect pv guests with
independent_wallclock==0.  I don't know if the
patches have been applied to pv_ops dom0, or
if they are even necessary.  In fact, I don't
know if there is a concept of independent_wallclock
in pv_ops.

Dan