Re: [Xen-devel] Re: PCI tuners with XEN

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)" <space.time.universe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 22:40:55 +0800
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 07:41:45 -0700

Sorry Christian.

Actually I am thinking William Eder may not need to go to the extent
of creating para-virtualized linux guests and passing through the PCI
TV tuner card to the linux guest.

I am suspecting that TV tuner card drivers may not be available or be
able to work properly under a Xen kernel. But since William is already
running Ubuntu linux, he has the option of loading a Xen or a non-Xen
kernel in GRUB. In that scenario, he should be able to load the
conventional Ubuntu supplied non-Xen kernel and install the
appropriate drivers for his PCI TV tuner card.

PCI TV tuner cards with the BT848 and BT878 chipsets are very well
supported in linux.

I am using the Hauppage WinTV PVR USB2 TV tuner box. pvrusb2 drivers
get automatically loaded when the USB cable of the TV tuner is plugged
into my machine (working under non-Xen kernel). I use it in
conjunction with mythtv. When I need to use Win XP virtual machine,
then I reboot into Xen pvops dom0 kernel.

For William's case, he needs to check what the chipset on his PCI TV
tuner card is.

--
Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) Dip(Mechatronics) BEng(Hons)(Mechanical
Engineering)