RE: [Xen-devel] Monitoring domU real memory usage

> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 08:00:07PM -0700, bhavani krishnan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > xentop is only giving me the memory allocated to the a domU
> (Static info). It does not change this info at all. Is there
> anyway to get how much of the allocated memory is the domU
> using? I saw few other similar posts in the archives but no
> solution to it. Please help me out here.

You'll have to define more precisely what "using" means
since an OS "uses" (nearly) all the memory given to it for one
thing or another.  Are you referring to ballooning?

> I don't know if that information is tracked.
>
> Xen doesn't do memory overcommit, so it dedicates physical memory for
> each guest, so it's up to the guests what they do with it.
>
> -- Pasi

Xen CAN do memory overcommit, just not transparently (yet).

In the xen tree, see tools/xenballoond.  See this link
from Xen Summit 2008 for more description:

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Open_Topics_For_Discussion?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=Memory+Overcommit.pdf