Re: [Xen-devel] pci device hotplug, race accessing xenstore

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 02:34:35PM +0100, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > compiled and run it on an Intel-DQ35JO, Fedora-10.
> >
> > When I try to pass pci device through at boot time in configuration file,
> > there's a race between xend and qemu accessing
> > xenstore.
> >
> > Xend waits in signalDeviceModel(...) for qemu to declare 'running' then
> > write to the dm-command pipe the devices to be
> > passed-through.
> >
> > On the qemu side, it poses a watch on
> > /local/domain/0/device-model/2/command and expects the dm-command from
> > there, by
> > calling xs_watch(...). xs_watch(...) causes xenstored to run do_watch(...)
> > and at the end, run add_event(...) with the
> > following comment:
> > ÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂ /* We fire once up front: simplifies clients and restart. */
> >

> > The problem shows when xend is faster, detecting qemu 'running' state, and
> > calls xstransact.Store adn writes to the
> > command pipe, before qemu can call main_loop_wait(...) and run one empty
> > loop on the command pipe. This write causes
> > xenstored to run a fires_watch, thus another add_event(...).
> > The problem shows in qemu log by an extra dm-command, using wrong parameter
> > and fails to initialize, for instance:

> > xs_read_watch: msg type 15 body /local/domain/0/device-model/3/command
> > read_message: msg type reply pci-ins
> > dm-command: hot insert pass-through pci dev
> > read_message: msg type reply 0000:00:1b.0@100
> > register_real_device: Assigning real physical device 00:1b.0 ...
> > pt_register_regions: IO region registered (size=0x00004000
> > base_addr=0x90420004)
> > pt_msi_setup: msi mapped with pirq ff
> > register_real_device: Real physical device 00:1b.0 registered successfuly!
> > IRQ type = MSI-INTx
> > read_message: msg type reply OK
> > read_message: msg type reply OK
> > xs_read_watch: msg type 15 body /local/domain/0/device-model/3/command
> > read_message: msg type reply pci-ins
> > dm-command: hot insert pass-through pci dev
> > read_message: msg type reply 0x20
> > hot add pci devfn -1 exceed.
> > read_message: msg type reply OK
> >
> > On the xend side:

> > ÂÂÂ (bdf_str, vdevfn))
> > VmError: Cannot pass-through PCI function '0000:00:1b.0@100'. Device model
> > reported an error: no free hotplug devfn
> > [2009-10-13 10:45:10 4174] ERROR (XendDomainInfo:471) VM start failed
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >

> I think we should take this chance to make the pci-insert protocol more
> reliable.
> In particular we are missing the following things:
>
> - qemu shouldn't accept any dm-command unless it is in state "running";
>
> - xend should remove the command node on xenstore after reading
> state "pci-inserted" and before writing state "running"  again.
>
> This way when the second xenstore watch fires the pci-ins command is
> never executed for a second time because either qemu is not in the right
> state (pci-inserted instead of running) or the command node doesn't
> contain any data (it has been removed by xend).

My memory of that code is a bit hazy, but that sounds like a good idea.

> Another problem is that nothing else can happen while xend waits for the
> device model to be in state running, this also prevents pci coldplug
> from working with stubdoms.
> Is it possible to run signalDeviceModel in a new xend Thread?

I'm interested to hear a comment on what the status of the Ocaml
replacement for xend is. It seems silly to spend time fixing up the
python code - there is ample scope for fixing - if a replacement
is in the wings. In particular, I'm refering to the toolstack.git
XCI tree.