Re: [Xen-devel] planned csched improvements?

  • To: Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 16:59:25 +0100
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 08:59:52 -0700

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> After the original announcement of plans to do some work on csched there
> wasn't much activity, so I'd like to ask about some observations that I made
> with the current implementation and whether it would be expected that
> those planned changes would take care of them.

There has been activity, but nothing worth sharing yet. :-)  I'm
working on the new "fairness" algorithm (perhaps called credits,
perhaps not), which is a prerequisite for any further work such as
load-balancing, power consumption, and so on.  Unfortunately, I
haven't been able to work on it for more than a week at a time for the
last several months before being interrupted with other work-related
tasks. :-(

Re the items you bring up below: I believe that my planned changes to
load-balancing should address the first.  First, I plan on making all
cores which share an L2 cache to share a runqueue.  This will
automatically share work among those cores without needing any special
load-balancing to be done.  Then, I plan on actually calculating:
* The per-runqueue load over the last time period
* The amount each vcpu is contributing to that load.
Then load balancing won't be a matter of looking at the instantaneous
runqueue lengths (as it is currently) but to the actual amount of
"business" the runqueue has over a period of time.  Load balancing
will be just that: actually moving vcpus around to make the loads more
balanced.  Balancing operations will happen at fixed intervals, rather
than "whenever a runqueue is idle".

But those are just plans now; not a line of code has been written, and
schedulers especially are notorious for the Law of Unexpected
Consequences.

Re soft-lockups: That really shouldn't be possible with the current
scheduler; if it happens, it's a bug.  Have you pulled from
xen-unstable recently?  There was a bug introduced a few weeks ago
that would cause problems; Keir checked in a fix for that one last
week.  Otherwise, if you're sure it's not a long hypercall issue,
there must be a bug somewhere.

The new scheduler will be an almost complete re-write; so it will
probably erase this bug, and introduce its own bugs.  However, I doubt
it will be ready by 3.5, so it's probably worth tracking down and
fixing if we can.

Hope that answers your question. :-)

 -George