RE: [Xen-devel] VT-D On An Asus P5E-VM DO Motherboard Not Working, Xen 3.4.1

Keir Fraser wrote:
> On 27/09/2009 16:35, "Michael MacLeod" <mikemacleod@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> 2009/9/27 Han, Weidong <weidong.han@xxxxxxxxx>
>>> Really? I found following lines in your messages. The base address
>>> of RMRR is larger than the end address. It's an obvious error of
>>> your BIOS. Thus VT-d is disabled.
>>
>> Han,
>>
>> I'm not denying that my BIOS has an error. The question is whether
>> it's an error that can be worked around, and why does it affect my
>> particular motherboard, but not other people who have the same
>> motherboard and the same BIOS revision? These same other users have
>> demonstrated that the DMAR table in their BIOS is also corrupt, but
>> that their installation of Xen is able to cope with it anyway. I'm
>> hoping that Xen can be made to cope with mine too.
>
> The particular check that you are failing on in Xen has been in since
> at least Xen 3.3.0. If others have the same mobo and BIOS, perhaps
> they are using an even earlier version of Xen than that? You can try
> removing the check that prints that error message, and see how far
> you get. But you're not likely to get ongoing support for that here.
>
>  -- Keir

Yes, the other people should not succeed on the same motherboard with the same
BIOS, unless they used an old xen version without this check. USB controllers
and integrated graphics card will use RMRR. I suspect it can work with this
broken BIOS even you remove the check and don't disable VT-d.

Regards,
Weidong