RE: [Xen-devel] 82576 VF passthrough

I remember the VF driver need hook for configuration space access. For example, the BAR is 0 by default. Not sure if that's the reason.

--jyh

From: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rose, Gregory V
Sent: 2009年9月25日 13:46
To: Satish Chowdhury
Cc: Simon Horman; xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] 82576 VF passthrough

I've only ever used HVMs.  I can't say whether VF passthrough to a PV guest works or not but I can't think of any reason it wouldn't.  Can you pass other devices through to this PV guest?  If so then a VF should work also.  Generally any guest that you can a physical device through will also work with a VF device.

Next thing to consider is whether your BIOS supports SR-IOV.  There are a lot of machines that have the necessary HW to support SR-IOV but the BIOS does not properly detect SR-IOV capable devices and program the upstream switches and bridges properly to make sure the I/O aperture is large enough to accommodate the extra VF devices when they are enabled by the driver.  There are very few BIOS vendors shipping SR-IOV capable BIOS at the moment.  If your machine does not have the right BIOS then there is a work around in the Xen 3.4 release that you can use.  Or at least I think it's still there.

pci=assign-mmio=0000:01

Try adding that to your kernel command line but substitute the domain/bus of your device.  For instance if your Kawela is on bus 4 then you would change the command to pci=assign-mmio=0000:04.

Hope that helps.

- Greg