Re: [Xen-devel] anyone using pvusb?

Hi,

> I have tested a few combinations of transfer_flags and haven't had any
> success, but haven't investigated that thoroughly

I will try in the latest tip with my environment.

However, I do not have AMD Opteron platform.
I can test only with Intel Core2 CPU and USB host controller that
included in the Intel ICH.

The difference of the USB host controller's behavior might cause the
issue.

Please inform me of the chipset or M/B that you are using and show me
lsusb outputs from both dom0 and domU.

BTW, I'm now working for some pvusb enhancements.
New device probe mechanism, bugfix of hotplug issue that you pointed
out and xend support are coming in October or November.

Regards,
Noboru

James Harper wrote:
Hi James,

Is anyone successfully using pvusb under 3.4-testing and
2.6.18-xen?
Could you explain more details about the issue?

- changeset of xen/kernel, arch (x86 or x64)

Xen is very recent 3.4-testing.hg
Kernel is latest 2.6.18-xen.hg x64

- H/W (CPU, M/B, USB Host controller, ...)

# cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 67
model name      : Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 1210
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 1800.006
cache size      : 1024 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 1
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr mca cmov pat
clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext
3dnow up pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy cr8_legacy
bogomips        : 3601.83
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc

- USB device (Device name and VendorId/ProdId)

# lsusb -v

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0204:6025 Chipsbank Microelectronics Co., Ltd
CBM2080 Flash drive controller
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x0204 Chipsbank Microelectronics Co., Ltd
  idProduct          0x6025 CBM2080 Flash drive controller
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           1 USB2.0
  iProduct                2 Flash Disk
  iSerial                 3 229360546401
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           32
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0x80
      (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower              100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
      bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
      bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk (Zip)
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               1
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               0
Device Status:     0x0001
  Self Powered

- your setting (show me xenstore entries)

# xenstore-ls /local/domain/2/device/vusb
0 = ""
 backend-id = "0"
 backend = "/local/domain/0/backend/vusb/2/0"
 state = "4"
 ring-ref = "797"
 event-channel = "10"

# xenstore-ls /local/domain/0/backend/vusb/2/0
frontend-id = "2"
frontend = "/local/domain/2/device/vusb/0"
num-ports = "8"
port-1 = "2"
port-2 = "0"
port-3 = "0"
port-4 = "0"
port-5 = "0"
port-6 = "0"
port-7 = "0"
port-8 = "0"
state = "4"

The device I'm testing with is a flash memory stick, and basically
the
first BULK packet gets sent successfully, which I assume is a read
request, and then a packet is sent to be filled with data read from
the
flash device and it either hangs there, or comes back with 0 bytes
and
then the next packet hangs - usb_submit_urb returns success but the
complete callback routine is never called.
Failure of the SCSI-device scanning did not occur with the storage
devices that I've tested.

But, this error might happen due to the mismatch of the
urb->transfer_flags.
I've seen this in the very early version of pvusb.

I have tested a few combinations of transfer_flags and haven't had any
success, but haven't investigated that thoroughly

Thanks

James