Re: [Xen-devel] RE: rdtsc: correctness vs performance on Xen (and KVM?)

On 09/02/09 00:20, Keir Fraser wrote:
> The problem is a bit easier with vsyscall potentially. For example, give
> each thread its own vsyscall clock data area (easy?), updated by kernel
> whenever the thread is scheduled, and increment a version counter, checked
> before and after by the vsyscall operation.

Yes.  Perhaps the very simplest way would be to make the kernel update
the pvclock version counter on context switch, the same way Xen does;
that would allow the usermode vsyscall code to use exactly the same
algorithm as the kernel code.  Would Xen cope with that?

> Well, I don't know how easy or fast that could actually be implemented, but
> I'm at least confident it could work. But it does need kernel assistance.

Yes.  I'm very uneasy about letting usermode have direct access to bits
of Xen without the kernel's knowledge anyway.  It suddenly means we need
to not only maintain a Xen<->kernel ABI, but a Xen<->usermode ABI as well.