Re: [Xen-devel] How to minimize the compilation time of the XEN code

On 01/09/2009 09:11, "Wen.Tian" <tyd126723@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> During my xen development, sometimes I modify just the xen code, and sometimes
> just the domain0 code, or sometime both.
>
> For the just xen code modification case, I tested in my machine and it took
> about 15 minutes.(My cpu is intel dual 1.6GHZ and I run the compile through
> the make dist command on the vmware on the windows XP platform). It's a too
> long waiting time for me............
>
> Is there any optimized option avaiable on the "make" command then it will cost
> least time in the above 3 case respectively?  (I always use the "make dist"
> now).

You can use the -j option to make to build in parallel, which speeds things
up quite a bit. Also there are build targets 'xen' and e.g.,
'linux-2.6-xen0-build' to build Xen and a 2.6.18 dom0, respectively.
E.g., 'make -j8 xen', 'make -j8 linux-2.6-xen0-build'

 -- Keir