Re: [Xen-devel] GPLPV drivers update

  • To: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Andrew Lyon <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 11:43:35 +0100
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 03:44:06 -0700

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 3:37 AM, James
Harper<james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have just uploaded a new testing version of GPL PV drivers for
> Windows. Have a look for 0.10.0.97-dontuse at
> http://www.meadowcourt.org/downloads (the -dontuse bit is to scare
> people away who haven't read this email :)
>
> As usual, please test thoroughly on a test DomU and make sure you have a
> backup before installing on a non-test system. In particular, I'm only
> testing with Xen 3.4.1 these days so anything older isn't tested
> although it should work.
>
> There was a problem with the signing of the drivers that would prevent
> them working properly under Vista/2008 x64 even with testsigning
> enabled. This should resolve that.
>
> The installation procedure for Vista/2008 x64 is as follows:
> . Run 'bcdedit /set testsigning on'
> . Reboot
> . Install the drivers. Accept any warnings and tick 'always trust...'
> when prompted.
> . Make sure you now have PV network and SCSI adapters present
> . Reboot
>
> If something doesn't work, you should be able to boot to safe mode
> unless you forgot to run 'bcdedit /set testsigning on' in which case you
> will probably have an unbootable system... for some reason the vista F8
> boot menu doesn't allow you to turn on testsigning and safe mode at the
> same time. Ideally the installer would be able to detect that we are
> using a test certificate and instruct you to turn on testsigning first
> but I don't yet know how to do that. I'll see if I can at least put in a
> loud warning at installation time...
>
> James

James,

Happy to report that I've tested the new drivers on a freshly
installed windows 2008 x64 hvm and after following your instructions
and rebooting the correct drivers appeared in device manager and the
performance increased as expected.

Then I decided to try backing out the kludge I had added to
makedist.bat to bypass signing, this time a new certificate was
generated and the drivers compiled without error, but during
installation the system bugchecked with a error in xenpci.sys, after
rebooting I retried the installation and the correct Xen PCI device
driver and other devices were detected but when I rebooted again the
system bugchecked.

I will do more testing to see if I get consistent results, I would
expect the msi that you released and the one I compiled to behave
exactly the same as I did a "hg pull" before compiling and "hg diff"
shows that my tree is the same as yours.

Andy

Andy