RE: [Xen-devel] HVM guest sees two NICs even though just one vifconfigured

<0199E0D51A61344794750DC57738F58E6D6A5013C9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"Fischer, Anna" <anna.fischer@xxxxxx> wrote:
>>  Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] HVM guest sees two NICs even though just one
>> vif configured

>> <0199E0D51A61344794750DC57738F58E6D6A501125@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> .net>,
>> "Fischer, Anna" <anna.fischer@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> > I am running SLES10 with Xen 3.2 and I have configured an HVM guest.
>> What version of sles10 are you installing? In sles10 sp3, if you
>> install with our tools you automatically get PV drivers (both NIC and
>> disk) enabled. Our tools will generate the appropriate config file
>> (with type=netfront) and appropriate kernel boot option to disable
>> probing of the hard disk. Prior to sles10 SP3, one had to manually
>> enable PV drivers after installing using the emulated devices.
>
> But how can the tools in Dom0 know whether your guest runs PV drivers or
> not? This assumes that your guest runs SLES10 as well and has your PV driver
> packages installed. Only then you can set type=netfront. Otherwise, if you
> set type=netfront, and your guest does not have PV drivers installed, then
> your guest will not have any networking device that works...

When you install SLES11 or sles10 sp3 as a hvm guest, we automatically install
the guest with the PV drivers enabled in the guest since PV drivers give you
the best user experience for HVM guests.

> You are assuming that you know what the guest has installed, only then you
> can set the type=[netfront|ioemu] correctly.
When you install sles11 or sles10 sp3 as hvm guest on our platform (sles dom0),
we will by default enable PV drivers.

Regards,

K. Y