RE: [Xen-devel] strange network related problem with Xen Windows GPL PVDriver 0.10.x version

  • To: "lepton" <ytht.net@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 11:23:33 +1000
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 18:24:03 -0700

> Hi,
>   For my windows xp domU, I have been used 0.9.12.pre13 version for a
long
> time without any major problem.
>   Since I have known there be some performance improvement in 0.10.x
> verison for windows xp with PATCHTPR, then I uninstall 0.9.12 version,
> and reinstall 0.10.86 version, first I got a bluescreen, after enable
> /nogplpv and disable it, then it work.
>   But I found my rdesktop session to my windows xp domU will "hang"
> for some time, for example, if I watch a flash via a rdesktop session,
> If I don't move mouse, then the play will stall at some time, if I
keep
> moving my mouse, it will play ok.
>   tcpdump on vif interface show there is no packet sent from the domU
> at the stall time. It seems some packets get lost at the driver layer?
>   After revert back to the old 0.9.12.pre13 version, this problem
> disapear.
>   And more, when using 0.10.86 version, login in to a windows xp domU
is
> slower then the 0.9.12.pre13 version, you can feel the refresh of the
> desktop. I suppose it is the same problem.
>   I have tried  0.10.69 version too, the problem exist too.
>   So I guess it is a problem in 0.10.x version?

Can you please try disabling checksum offload and large send offload in
the adapter properties under XP and let me know if things get better?
The slow login could be caused by the same thing that causes problems
with your rdp session.

Also, do you have a Windows 2003 install to test against? I am wondering
if the problem is XP specific (unlikely) or general.

Thanks

James