[Xen-devel] RE: TSC scaling and softtsc reprise, and PROPOSAL

Hi, Dan
        Sorry for late reply!  See my comments below.

> Thanks very much for the additional detail on the 10%
> performance loss.  What is this oltp benchmark?  Is
> it available for others to run?  Also is the rdtsc
> rate 120000/sec on EACH processor?

OLTP benchmark is a test case of sysbench, and you can get it through the
following link:
http://sysbench.sourceforge.net/

And we only configured one virtual processor for one VM,  and I don't know oltp
whether can use two virtual processors.

> Assuming a 3GHz machine, your results seem to show that
> emulating a rdtsc with softtsc takes about 2500 cycles.
> This agrees with my approximation of about 1 usec.
>
> Have you analyzed where this 2500 cycles is being used?
> My suggestion about performance optimization was not
> to try a different algorithm but to see if it is possible
> to code the existing algorithm much faster using a
> special trap path and assembly code. (We called this
> a "fast path" on Xen/ia64.)  Even if the 2500 cycles
> can be cut in half, that would be a big win.

It should have no fast path for emulating rdtsc in x86 side, and the main cost
should be from hardware context switch. Since I am using an old machine when
run this benchmark, the cost should be reduced sharply in latest processors
where I haven't done the test.

> Am I correct in reading that your patch is ONLY for
> HVM guests?  If so, since some (maybe most) workloads
> that rely on tsc for transaction timestamps will be
> PV, your patch doesn't solve the whole problem.

Yes, this patch is only for HVM guest, because only HVM guest can use TSC
offset feature(one of VT features) ,and also I don't think PV guest need it.

\