CPUID information and live migration (was: [Xen-devel] xmp domU migration problem with latest Xen 3.4.1 and linux-2.6.18-xen)

  • To: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Gianluca Guida <gianluca.guida@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 20:00:23 +0100
  • Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 12:01:10 -0700

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Keir Fraser<keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Probably one host supports NX (No Execute aka eXecute Disable) and the other
> doesn't. Try adding the following line to your domain config file:
> cpuid=['0x80000001:edx=xxxxxxxxxxx0xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx']

Speaking about this, I was actually thinking, in the various
undergoing efforts to clean up the save/restore and migration code, to
insert in save and migration explicit information about VM's CPUID, so
that on restore (live or non live) the receiving host can determine if
it can run the new VM (and, if it want to be smart, downgrade the
CPUID information to mantain compatibility).

As for now this has only been an idea. Any comments from people who
have already worked on CPUID issues whether this can be useful or
actually feasible?

Thanks,
Gianluca

--
It was a type of people I did not know, I found them very strange and
they did not inspire confidence at all. Later I learned that I had been