[Xen-devel] RE: [RFC] transcendent memory for Linux

> From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge [mailto:jeremy@xxxxxxxx]
> On 06/30/09 14:21, Dan Magenheimer wrote:
> > No, the uuid can't be verified.  Tmem gives no indication
> > as to whether a newly-created pool is already in use (shared)
> > by another guest.  So without both the 128-bit uuid and an
> > already-in-use 64-bit object id and 32-bit page index, no data
> > is readable or writable by the attacker.
>
> You have to consider things like timing attacks as well (for
> example, a
> tmem hypercall might return faster if the uuid already exists).
>
> Besides, you can tell whether a uuid exists, by at least a couple of
> mechanisms (from a quick read of the source, so I might have
> overlooked something):

All of these still require a large number of guesses
across a 128-bit space of possible uuids, right?
It should be easy to implement "guess limits" in xen
that disable tmem use by a guest if it fails too many guesses.
I'm a bit more worried about:

> You also have to consider the case of a domain which was once part of
> the ocfs cluster, but now is not - it may still know the uuid, but not
> be otherwise allowed to use the cluster.

But on the other hand, the security model here can be that
if a trusted entity becomes untrusted, you have to change
the locks.

> Yeah, a shared namespace of accessible objects is an entirely
> new thing
> in the Xen universe.  I would also drop Xen support until
> there's a good
> security story about how they can be used.

While I agree that the security is not bulletproof, I wonder
if this position might be a bit extreme.  Certainly, the NSA
should not turn on tmem in a cluster, but that doesn't mean that
nobody should be allowed to.  I really suspect that there are
less costly / more rewarding attack vectors at several layers
in the hardware/software stack of most clusters.

Dan