[Xen-devel] RE: [RFC] transcendent memory for Linux

> > It is documented currently at:
> >
> > http://oss.oracle.com/projects/tmem/documentation/api/
> >
> > (just noticed I still haven't posted version 0.0.2 which
> > has a few minor changes).
> >
> > I will add a briefer description of this API in Documentation/
>
> Please do.

OK, will do.

> At least TMEM_NEW_POOL() looks quite ugly. Why uuid? Mixing flags into
> size argument is strange.

The uuid is only used for shared pools.  If two different
"tmem clients" (guests) agree on a 128-bit "shared secret",
they can share a tmem pool.  For ocfs2, the 128-bit uuid in
the on-disk superblock is used for this purpose to implement
shared precache.  (Pages evicted by one cluster node
can be used by another cluster node that co-resides on
the same physical system.)

The (page)size argument is always fixed (at PAGE_SIZE) for
any given kernel.  The underlying implementation can
be capable of supporting multiple pagesizes.

So for the basic precache and preswap uses, "new pool"
has a very simple interface.

> > It is in-kernel only because some of the operations have
> > a parameter that is a physical page frame number.
>
> In-kernel API is probably better described as function prototypes.

Good idea.  I will do that.

Thanks,
Dan