[Xen-devel] Differences in pausing a domain and suspending a domain

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: ADITYA KRISHNAN <akrishn7@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 21:51:16 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 18:52:46 -0700

Hi,

I am just trying to do a comparative study between suspending a domain and pausing a domain.
I know that during migration the xc_domain_save.c issues a suspend_and_state() which places a suspend key on the xenstore which is "watched" by the guest.
Guest disconnects itself from devices
– Unplugs all but first CPU
– Disables interrupts
– Pins page tables of all processes into RAM
– Prepares a suspend record - the xen_start_info
structure, with the address of store and console
pages converted to PFN, so that restore can
rewrite them on restore
– Makes a suspend hypercall that does not return

I know that the suspend record necessary for restoring the domain is constructed only in the suspend call and not when pausing the domain.

I would like to know if any of the above steps are performed by the xc_domain_pause().  I know that xc_domain_pause() makes sure that the particular domain is not scheduled. But I want to  know wether pausing a domain also causes the guest to pin all its page tables to RAM ?

I would be glad if someone could throw light on the differences between suspending and pausing a domain.

Thank You.

 Aditya