Re: [Xen-devel] save image file format? and [RFC] tmem save/restore/migrate

At 13:02 +0100 on 18 Jun (1245330161), Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> At least in theory is certainly feasible: just a matter or registering
> another savevm function for a record called "cpu" or "vcpu", that would
> take care of saving the guest memory using xc_domain_save.

Yuck.  You still need to add a bunch of metadata from xend that qemu
doesn't know about, so you'll have to wrap the qemu output in another
file format already.  Wrapping the memory image inside qemu's image is
just layering for its own sake.  (Also, using qemu to save a PV guests
would be pretty wierd).

> The qemu people are also maintaing save record compatibility now, so we
> are safe from that perspective.

Yes, but their code-defines-format model is rubbish.  I've written a
couple of tools that parse HVM save file info based on the Xen public
headers; doing the same for a qemu-style implicit format is a PITA.

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Principal Software Engineer, Citrix Systems (R&D) Ltd.