Re: [Xen-devel] How to Allocate Disk Bandwidth among VMs?

Thank you a lot for your reply. I will try dm-ioband for Xen disk I/O QoS
ASAP.

Actually, I'm also surveying ways of Xen disk I/O QoS. There are two kinds
of solution as I see.
One is at the frontend/backend driver level. It avoids replying on any
specific guest OS.
There are two patches for this same purpose.
The first is Xen I/O manager.
(http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2007-07/msg00863.html)

The second is a token-based resource limitation in backend driver
(http://www.nabble.com/-PATCH-0-2--blkback:-Token-based-QoS-resource-limiting-for-VBD-I-O.-td22808160.html)

However, my lastest Xen 3.3.0 doesn't include either. I wonder does Xen
3.3.0 incorporate any disk I/O QoS mechanism inside?

The second kind of solution, as the one you suggest, bases on Domain0 OS
kernel's scheduling of backend driver's kernel thread, such as dm-ioband and
ionice for per-process scheduling.

I tried ionice, but got no effect. I don't know why.

Is there any other idea or implementation for disk I/O QoS in Xen?