Re: [Xen-devel] Experimental results for VGA passthrough

  • To: "Beng Heng, Ng" <bengheng@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Jean Guyader <jean.guyader@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 23:28:16 +0100
  • Cc: Andrew Lyon <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>, Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 15:28:40 -0700

Yes, here are the value we need to fake and the raison why:
  - GMCH, when the vgabios execute at actually check this register in
the host bridge (bdf 0:0.0, offset 0x52). On the intel platform this
register is there to identify the amount of stolen memory and
therefore the supported resolution in legacy mode (VGA/VESA).
  - VID/DID. Linux check that. If it doesn't match with the graphic
card it doesn't reconise the chipset and doesn't create the agpgart.
  - OpRegion address. Not sure about this one, but when you
shutdown/sleep vista if this value is present the driver will try to
save some information in a ACPI NVS region.

All those register are public you can find some more information about
those here:
www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/319970.pdf

Jean