[Xen-devel] How to determine memory size in HVM

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 00:12:22 +1000
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 07:12:48 -0700

How can I tell how much memory my VM has under HVM? I want to have
something concrete to compare the 'target' value in xenstore to for
ballooning so I am reluctant to ask Windows the question. There seems to
be a nr_pages in start_info, but HVM doesn't have that...

My reason for not wanting to ask Windows how much memory is that if it
says we have 3.5G (reasonable without PAE) and xenstore says we have 4G
then I'm going to have to fudge things a bit to know whether we are
ballooning up or down etc.

I could just read the initial target value from xenstore on boot, but
even that could be changed before my drivers get to it.

Thanks

James